Dermal Fillers Atlanta
If your face is developing lines, wrinkles, and folds, you may be surprised to learn that this is often caused by loss of subdermal fat. While most of us tend to focus on losing weight, loss of the fat under your dermal layer of facial skin can make you look older than you are. Dermal fillers are the most popular and least invasive treatment for lines and folds in your face and can increase the volume in your lips.
Benefits of Dermal Fillers
Dermal fillers are injected under the epidermis, or top skin layer, to increase volume in the dermis, or lower skin layers, and reduce lines, wrinkles, and folds around your:
Depending on the type of dermal filler, the procedure and duration of benefits may vary. While most dermal fillers provide identical or similar benefits, the ingredients they are comprised of and their FDA-approved uses are not identical.
BOTOX® or Dermal Fillers?
Sometimes people talk about dermal fillers as an alternative to BOTOX® injections, but in truth the two treatments are complementary. They address different types of facial lines, and to get the best results, we often use a combination of the two. During your dermal filler consultation, we will talk about what is causing the lines you want to reduce and which treatment will be best for you.
Dermal Filler Procedure
The process for administering dermal fillers may take 15-60 minutes per session, depending on the desired outcome and number of injection sites. The chosen dermal filler is injected into the dermis at several points, primarily in areas where lines and wrinkles are most prominent, or into the area surrounding the lips in order to increase lip volume.
After the procedure is completed, you may experience mild:
However, you will be tested before use of any dermal filler which may cause an allergic reaction to prevent complications. Dermal fillers do not affect or improve your skin tone, and for age spots or acne scars you may choose to undergo laser skin resurfacing or chemical peel instead.
Types of Dermal Fillers
At Marietta Plastic Surgery, many dermal fillers are available for your treatment, and we are constantly evaluating new fillers that come on the market. Each one differs from the others in ingredients and chemical makeup and will produce a different effect from the others. To determine which dermal filler you should use, you can meet with one of our board-certified* Marietta cosmetic surgeons and discuss your goals and expectations. The dermal fillers available through our office are:
- Restylane – Cross-linked hyaluronic acid; lasts about 6-8 months
- Juvéderm – Cross-linked hyaluronic acid; lasts about 6-8 months
- Juvéderm Vollure™ XC – softens moderate to severe parentheses lines and wrinkles by adding volume to the lines and wrinkles around your nose and mouth to produce subtle and long-lasting results for up to 18 months.
- Radiesse – Calcium Hydroxylapatite, natural mineral found in skin; stimulates collagen and is good for deeper lines but not for lips or fine lines; lasts over 1 year with possible touch up after 3 or 6 months
- Sculptra – Poly-L-Lactic Acid; collagen stimulant now approved by FDA; requires 3 sessions 6-8 weeks apart; ideal for deep volume augmentation throughout the face. Results may last two years or more
- Voluma- Cross-linked hyaluronic acid; for deep volume enhancement; lasts about 18-24 months.
If you are interested in improving the appearance of lines and wrinkles with dermal fillers or BOTOX®, please contact Marietta Plastic Surgery today. We welcome patients from all over Georgia, including Atlanta, Marietta, Woodstock, and the surrounding areas.