If you are self-conscious about your skin tone or have developed “sun spots” over the years, you may feel that your appearance is simply a matter of aging and something you must learn to live with. However, laser skin resurfacing allows for the reconstitution of your aging skin and enables you to revitalize your skin tone.
What Laser Skin Resurfacing Corrects
Laser skin resurfacing is simply the removal of the top layers of your skin and the stimulation of your dermis (the deep layer of your skin) to produce more collagen. The production of collagen improves the structure and elasticity of your skin. Doing this can reverse the effects of:
- Sun damage
- Age spots
- Acne scars
Laser skin resurfacing improves your skin tone, minimizes fine lines and wrinkles, and can remove damaged and dead skin. It does not remove excess skin or fat, and for that reason is often used in conjunction with a face lift, brow lift, or eyelid surgery. Laser skin resurfacing may be performed on men or women of any age or genetic background, but provides the best results on fair skin. During your consultation we can discuss what results you can expect from your laser skin resurfacing.
Laser Skin Resurfacing Procedure
The procedure for laser skin resurfacing can take from one to two hours and may be performed under a mild local anesthesia or with a sedative, if determined appropriate. You will be provided with protective eyewear to prevent damage to your eyes. While you relax, the laser’s beam will be applied to the designated areas of your skin, which may include your face, ears, and even chest. You may feel the brief sensation of heat while the laser is directed at your skin.
Your Laser Skin Resurfacing will be administered at Marrieta Plastic Surgery located in Marrieta, GA just outside of Atlanta.
At Marietta Plastic Surgery we have a wide variety of laser platforms available, allowing our board-certified Marietta plastic surgeons to choose the platform which is most likely to provide you with the best outcome possible. Our laser technologies include:
- GentleLASE: This versatile laser technology was originally designed for hair removal purposes, but doctors have discovered over time that it can also treat a multitude of other conditions.Age spots, freckles, wrinkles, melasma, and veins on the face and legs are all skin issues that can be treated with this technology.
For hair removal, GentleLASE technology is touted as the fastest equipment currently available. In addition, it comes equipped with a patented cooling device to maximize comfort and safety, whether the goal is skin resurfacing or hair removal.
- Cutera Vantage: This laser system allows another option for hair removal while also treating vascular lesions and tightening the skin.
- Cutera, XEO: The laser is used to diminish brown spots and rosacea.
- IPL: Also known as a “photo facial”, IPL uses intense pulsed light to improve the appearance of skin tone and texture.
- V Beam: The V Beam laser is the only laser designed specifically to target all forms of red pigmentation on the skin, such as broken capillaries, rosacea, and other vascular areas brought about by sun damage. Most people will require a few treatments depending on how much redness needs to be treated.The process involves targeting areas of redness by sending controlled pulses of light into the discoloration. The discolored area absorbs the light energy and destroys the redness. The V Beam laser creates a sensation similar to a rubber band snap, coupled with a cooling sensation.
To maximize results, treatments will likely need to be repeated at least once more in about a month.
The immediate results of your laser skin resurfacing will be similar to a sun burn, and you may experience skin peeling as the old layers come off and allow younger skin to take their place. Your results will continue to improve over a number of weeks, but your final results may not be apparent until several months after your procedure, as the stimulation of collagen takes time.
After your procedure is completed you may be provided with a healing ointment which you should apply for one week or as directed. You should not wear any cosmetics or lotions for 10-14 days, except under your plastic surgeon’s recommendation.
To learn more about laser skin resurfacing or to schedule your facial plastic surgery consultation please contact our offices today, serving patients in Marietta, Atlanta, Woodstock, and throughout Georgia.