If your face is developing lines, wrinkles, and folds, you may be surprised to learn that this is often caused by loss of subdermal fat. While most of us tend to focus on losing weight, loss of the fat under your dermal layer of facial skin can make you look older than you are. Dermal fillers are the most popular and least invasive treatment for lines and folds in your face and can increase the volume in your lips.
Benefits of Dermal Fillers
Dermal fillers are injected under the epidermis, or top skin layer, to increase volume in the dermis, or lower skin layers, and reduce lines, wrinkles, and folds around your:
Depending on the type of dermal filler, the procedure and duration of benefits may vary. While most dermal fillers provide identical or similar benefits, the ingredients they are comprised of and their FDA-approved uses are not identical.
BOTOX®, Dysport® or Dermal Fillers?
Sometimes people talk about dermal fillers as an alternative to BOTOX® and Dysport injections, but in truth the two treatments are complementary. They address different types of facial lines, and to get the best results, we often use a combination of the two. During your dermal filler consultation, we will talk about what is causing the lines you want to reduce and which treatment will be best for you.
Dermal Filler Procedure
The process for administering dermal fillers may take 15-60 minutes per session, depending on the desired outcome and number of injection sites. The chosen dermal filler is injected into the dermis at several points, primarily in areas where lines and wrinkles are most prominent, or into the area surrounding the lips in order to increase lip volume.
After the procedure is completed, you may experience mild:
However, you will be tested before use of any dermal filler which may cause an allergic reaction to prevent complications. Dermal fillers do not affect or improve your skin tone, and for age spots or acne scars you may choose to undergo laser skin resurfacing or chemical peel instead.
Types of Dermal Fillers
At Marietta Plastic Surgery, many dermal fillers are available for your treatment, and we are constantly evaluating new fillers that come on the market. Each one differs from the others in ingredients and chemical makeup and will produce a different effect from the others. To determine which dermal filler you should use, you can meet with one of our board-certified* Marietta cosmetic surgeons and discuss your goals and expectations. The dermal fillers available through our office are:
- Restylane® L, Silk, Defyne and Refyne – are for mid-to-deep injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds, cheeks and lips.
- Restylane® Lyft – for deep volume enhancement of the cheek area; lasts about 18-24 months.
- Juvéderm™ XC, Ultra XC and Volbella – are for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds (such as nasolabial folds) and into the lips and perioral area for lip augmentation.
- Juvéderm Vollure™ XC – softens moderate to severe parentheses lines and wrinkles by adding volume to the lines and wrinkles around your nose and mouth to produce subtle and long-lasting results for up to 18 months.
- Juvederm Voluma® – is used for deep volume enhancement of the cheek area; lasts about 18-24 months.
- Radiesse® – natural mineral found in skin; stimulates collagen and is good for deeper lines but not for lips or fine lines; lasts over 1 year with possible touch up after 3 or 6 months
- Sculptra® – collagen stimulant; requires 3 sessions 6-8 weeks apart; ideal for deep volume augmentation throughout the face. Results may last two years or more
- BellaFill® – is used for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds. Stimulates collagen growth long term to help maintain your youthful appearance for up to 5 years.
- Renuva® – is an injectable treatment that transfers small amounts of fat matrix to existing tissue to regenerate fat, which can improve skin tone, texture, volume, and appearance. Patients can see improvement on scarring, lines and wrinkles, small skin defects, cellulite dimpling, and aging hands. It is indicated for use on the body or face for replacement, correction or augmentation of fat.
If you are interested in improving the appearance of lines and wrinkles with dermal fillers or BOTOX® and Dysport®, please contact Marietta Plastic Surgery today. We welcome patients from all over Georgia, including Atlanta, Marietta, Woodstock, and the surrounding areas.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
A. No single dermal filler can address every patient’s needs, which is why we offer so many options at Marietta Plastic Surgery. Each of our dermal fillers is designed to target specific problem areas of the face. In many cases, a combination of fillers is needed in order to achieve the most esthetically pleasing results.
After carefully examining your facial skin and evaluating your cosmetic goals, our experienced Atlanta plastic surgeons can help recommend the right type of dermal filler for you.
A. BOTOX® Cosmetic is not a dermal filler, since it is not used to “fill in” wrinkles and fine lines; instead, it blocks the nerve signals that cause your facial muscles to contract and form wrinkles. Depending on the specific types of wrinkles you have (dynamic vs. static), BOTOX® may be useful on its own or in conjunction with a dermal filler.
A. Dermal filler injections are non-surgical treatments, so there is no risk of noticeable post-surgical marks and no scalpels are required. The method is also known to have minimal downtime, so you can get right back to your daily routine much more quickly than with the other methods.
The effects of dermal fillers appear quite quickly, and these results will last for a long time. Depending on the skin type and the way in which the body responds to the treatment, results can last for a year or longer.
A. Facial age lines and wrinkles can be corrected with dermal fillers. The nasolabial folds, prejowl folds, parentheses lines, marionette lines, and smoker’s lines can be filled in using dermal fillers. They smooth away creases by reducing the sag and adding volume to the skin.