You will need to make several important decisions during the planning phase of your breast augmentation. One of these involves the placement of your breast implants. There are two main breast implant placement options to choose from:
- Subglandular (over the muscle)
- Submuscular (under the muscle)
If you choose the subglandular placement option, our board-certified plastic surgeons will place the breast implant behind the breast tissue and in front of the chest muscle. This option is ideal for women with at least a moderate amount of natural breast tissue.
Advantages of subglandular placement include:
- Easier to place
- More dramatic results
- Sharply defined cleavage
- Shorter recovery period
- Works well with larger breast implants
Drawbacks to subglandular placement include:
- Implant may be more visible, especially in women with minimal natural breast tissue
- More likely to result in sagging over time
- Greater interference with mammograms
- Rippling is more easily noticed
- Greater risk of capsular contracture
With submuscular placement, our plastic surgeons will place the breast implant underneath the chest muscle. This option offers greater support for the implant and achieves a more subtle outcome. It is ideal for women who have thinner natural breast tissue.
Advantages of submuscular placement include:
- More natural looking results
- Reduces the risk of sagging
- Less interference with mammograms
- Rippling and implant edges are less noticeable
- Reduced risk of capsular contracture
Drawbacks to submuscular placement include:
- More difficult to place
- Longer recovery after breast augmentation
- Greater limitations on the size of breast implants that can be used
During your initial consultation, our plastic surgeons will review the pros and cons of each option so you can make a fully informed decision.
Please contact Marietta Plastic Surgery today to schedule your consultation with one of our experienced Atlanta area plastic surgeons. Call 770-425-0118 for our Marietta office or 678-494-2380 for our Woodstock location.