Questions About Breast Implants - Atlanta
While you are considering breast implant surgery, you probably have many questions and concerns, some of which may seem difficult to find the answers for. At Marietta Plastic Surgery, our goal is to provide you with personalized, compassionate care while answering all your questions as thoroughly as possible. We know that each woman is an individual, so the answers to some breast augmentation questions may be different for you than for other women.
Who is a good candidate for breast implants?
The ideal candidate for breast implants is a woman who is unhappy with her breasts because she feels they are too small or lack volume. In addition to the desire for breast enlargement, a good candidate for breast implants or any type of surgery should:
- Have no serious medical conditions prior to surgery
- Not be pregnant or expecting to become pregnant in the near future
- Have a realistic understanding of the breast implant procedure and outcome
What are the benefits of breast implants?
The primary benefit of breast implants is to enlarge the breasts and improve their shape. However, studies have shown that many women experience secondary benefits that include:
- Feeling greater self-confidence and improved body image
- Feeling comfortable wearing more styles of clothing
- Feeling more feminine
- Feeling increased sexual confidence and pleasure
These benefits cannot be guaranteed for any particular woman, but research shows that the majority of women experience one or more of these benefits after receiving breast implants.
Which is better: Saline or Silicone?
Breast implants are one of the most important breast enlargement options that you have to make a decision. You are probably aware that the two types of FDA-approved material currently available for breast implants are saline and silicone. Which fill material is best for you depends on several important factors.
- Silicone breast implants are pre-filled, while saline breast implants are filled at the time of surgery
- Both types of breast implant come in a wide range of sizes
- Either type of implant may be made in a variety of shapes
- Both types of breast implant use the same material for the outer shell of the implant
- For most women, silicone implants give better results in terms of natural appearance and feel
- Saline implants are slightly less expensive
The best way to determine which type of implant is right for you is by meeting with one of our board-certified Marietta plastic surgeons and discussing your goals and desired outcome.
Are breast implants safe?
Both saline and silicone breast implant material are considered safe by the FDA. Neither saline nor silicone breast implants have been associated with an increased risk of breast cancer, autoimmune disorders, or any systemic disorder. They also have not been shown to pose any risk to breastfeeding infants.
Breast implant rupture is a concern for some women, but both filler materials are safe in the event of a rupture. Should you experience a breast implant rupture, the silicone should remain intact and could be removed. The liquid from a saline implant would simply absorb into your body because it is only salt water.
How much do breast implants cost?
The cost of breast implants varies based on the procedure. When you meet with one of our plastic surgeons to discuss your goals, he can provide you with an estimate of the total cost for your breast implant surgery.
To learn more about breast implants or to make an appointment for your breast enhancement surgery, please contact Marietta Plastic Surgery today. Our qualified surgeons serve patients of all ages and backgrounds from Atlanta, Marietta, Woodstock, and the surrounding areas of Georgia. Set up a breast augmentation consultation today!