When you are considering breast implants, it's important to consider your procedure options to make a decision about what type of procedure is right for you. There are two different placement options, described as "planes" for breast implant placement:
- Submuscular–placed fully or partly under the pectoral muscle
- Subglandular–placed under the breast tissue and over the pectoral muscle
Submuscular placement has become the preferred plane for breast implant placement, and it does offer several advantages, such as increased support for the breast implant, reduced risk of capsular contracture, and better concealment of the breast implant. However, that does not mean it’s the only option for breast implant placement, nor does it mean that it's the one for your breast augmentation surgery.
The best placement for your breast implants depends on many different things, such as:
- Your desired results
- Your natural breast tissue
- The size of your breast implant
- The type of breast implant: saline breast implants are more likely to ripple and show the edge of the implant, so submuscular placement can help
- Your lifestyle–some activities may be affected by submuscular placement of breast implants
During your consultation with a breast surgeon, you will have a chance to talk about your cosmetic goals and lifestyle, have your breast tissue evaluated, and hear recommendations about the best plane for your breast implant placement.
For more information about breast augmentation in Atlanta, please contact Marietta Plastic Surgery today for a consultation.